Friday, July 22, 2011

Mom's Mexican Salad Recipe

Our house is really a 24/7 house.  I promise you can come by at any given time and someone is up.  Between my teenagers coming and going, my schedule, husband's schedule it is usually pure chaos at my house.  So I try to keep something in the refrigerator that we can quickly eat or grab and go.

So I thought I would share a recipe that my mom use to make when I was growing up. I made it today and thought I would share it with you.   I love it especially in the summer and it can be served as a side dish or main dish.   Hope you give it a try and if you do hope you like it.

1 can red kidney beans (drained)
1 can pinto beans (drained)
1 lb of hamburger (cooked and drained) If I am serving the salad as a side dish I don't include the hamburger.  My favorite is to include the hamburger and serve for lunch. YUMM
10 oz of cherry tomatoes
2 avocados (sliced and soaked in lemon juice so they don't discolor) photo does not include avocados because my kids don't like em.
1 small can sliced black olives
1 bunch of green onions, (diced)
1 head of lettuce (chopped)
1 cup of celery (chopped)
1+ cup of cheddar cheese (grated)  sorry photo does not have the cheese.  I took the photo before I added the cheese.

Toss altogether and add 1 bottle of Catalina French Dressing and mix together.

Just before serving crunch up Doritos, corn chips or Frito's and sprinkle on top or toss in salad.  I prefer Doritos but then again I am a Doritos junkie.

Have a great day.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin